Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Live for today

Someone called Brad wrote this - I like it. Especially since I have a sink full of dishes in the kitchen :)

"You’re here. This is your life. And you’re missing out on it. Your fantasies are never real, and they never can be, because nothing you can possibly imagine will ever be anything like the way you imagine it.

The same applies to anything you might get depressed about — the state of the world, the state of contemporary music, the state of your haircut.

The thing that always helps me is doing whatever little things I can do right now to improve my life. Like cleaning the toilet, or emptying out the litter box. Make someone laugh. There’s always something that needs done. Always. And it’s your job to do it. Contribute something to the world you live in. It doesn’t matter if it’s something big or small. In fact, small is better. We don’t live our lives for ourselves. That’s a huge mistake nearly everyone makes. You are a part of the continuum of life and it is your duty to make your own unique contribution. That’s what God put you on Earth for. When you go against that you feel unhappy.

Is your life balanced? Or do you envision it as a few peak experiences, big highs or big lows, interrupted by long stretches of nothing much going on? Drugs will mess you up too. Much as I hate sounding like Nancy Reagan, it’s damned true. They pull you up one way for a little while, but then there’s always the rebound. If you live your life as peak experiences interrupted by nothing happening, you might think that’s fine. But it’s not fine. The very reason today seems so bleak and grey is only because you’re comparing it to your memories of yesterday’s sunshine, or yesterday’s high, or yesterday’s orgasm. Or that great “if only” that would make everything fine if it wasn’t just out of reach. But that’s just your memories and ideas. Reality is the dishes in the sink. And the dishes in the sink today are always better that the rollercoaster ride last night — because today is real and yesterday and tomorrow are lies you tell yourself.

Depression is a thought. It’s a tough one to get rid of. But in the end, all thoughts, no matter what they are, are nothing but energy bouncing around in that lump of hamburger inside your skull."

3 comments:

Technodoll said...

Ah, I knew there was proof somewhere God existed - LOL!

Agree about the drugs but not that "yesterday and tomorrow are lies you tell yourself".

Bullshit.

Yesterday happened and it was real, it the tomorrows that are never etched in stone.

And while depression can be a thought, it can also be tied to chemical inbalances in the hamburger - nothing is simple in this life.

Sure the small things add up to the big things, but I'd rather hold a $100 bill in my hand than a jar of pennies adding up to that sum.

Or how about a jar of $100 bills while we're at it - is it too much to ask that life just be awesome, instead of one struggle after another?

Damn dishes. Everyone has them and everyone hates them. I need a maid.

Vegas said...

I quite like doing dishes - but I have the window over the sink so I can look around. Your kitchen is not conducive to doing dishes ;)

As for yesterday - I took it more to mean that we don't recall the whole of it. So we might recall how wonderful that particular day was, without recalling the shitty stuff that also happened. So if you hold up the utopian yesterday and tomorrow next to the 'whole pie' of today, they tend to look nicer and shinier. That's how I see it anyway...

Technodoll said...

what did you do to your blog? it looks like naked death now!

sniff :-(